The reality is - sugar free eating can be just as enjoyable - if not more! Here’s our top 5 tips to make sure your meals are packed full of flavour:
1. Invest in a good quality, natural sugar replacement - our Lakanto Monkfruit Sweeteners offer a 1:1 replacement for white and brown sugar. They can be used in direct replacement of sugar in your favourite baking recipes, as a sweetener for your beverages (e.g. coffee and tea), to dust your baked goods with, to create sweet sauces and jams, to stew fruit in and to top on yoghurt, cereal and more. Once you realise just how delicious (and nutritious!) our Monkfruit sweetener is, we promise you won’t turn back. They’re also gluten-free, vegan, dairy free and suitable for the ketogenic, diabetic and coeliac community. Plus - they’re kid friendly, and chances are, even the fussiest of eaters won’t know the difference when you use these sweeteners over sugar.
2. Get creative with seasonings - when it comes to savoury meals in particular, don’t think that you can’t get the same level of flavour intensity without resorting to sugar-laden sauces or condiments. Using fresh or dried herbs is the easiest, cheapest and healthiest way to pack in the flavour into your meals - no additives needed! Think smoked paprika and cumin for Mexican style dishes, basil and oregano for an Italian flair and don’t underestimate what a squeeze of lemon juice and crack of salt can do for almost any meal!
3. Add some texture or crunch - if you’re worried your meals will feel like they’re lacking just that little something without all the sugar - adopt a new way of adding an enjoyable experience to your meals. Throwing in some seeds, nuts or edamame beans can easily add a whole new level to a dish, making it taste and feel a whole lot more satisfying and enjoyable.
4. Don’t skimp on healthy fats - a big tip is to focus less on taking everything out of your meals. Once you’ve cut out the sugar, shift your focus now on what you can add to your meals to reap even more nutritional benefits. Ensuring your meals have adequate amounts of healthy fats in them will not only make sure they taste better (we all know veggies taste instantly more enjoyable with a little extra virgin olive oil!), but will also keep you more satiated and less likely to feel those sugar cravings kick in. It’s a win-win situation.
5. Use what’s in season - this is an underestimated tip - but one that can really make a big difference. Once you know what’s in season and shop accordingly, you’ll not only save yourself money (in season produce is always cheaper), but you’ll also enjoy the incredible natural flavours found in produce at its freshest and prime state.