This is a vibrant, earthy and overall completely delicious recipe.
Chocolate and beetroot are a match made in heaven and the maple syrup adds the perfect level of sweetness.
These are perfect for your or your kids lunchboxes and are a wonderful way to sneak some extra veggies into the day.
Plus, beetroots are an excellent source of folic acid and a very good source of fibre, manganese and potassium, whilst cacao is full of antioxidants, magnesium and iron. So in short, these muffins not only taste great but are filled with goodness.
If you make them please share with us by tagging @lakantoaustralia and #responsiblysweet
2/3 cup Coconut oil or Olive oil
1/2 cup Lakanto Maple Flavoured Syrup
50 g Sugar Free Dark Chocolate (70%), broken into pieces
250 g (2 cups) Raw Beetroots, grated
1 ½ cups Spelt Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
5 tbsp Cacao Powder
a pinch Salt
1 tbsp Dried Desiccated Coconut
- Preheat the oven to 175°C. Grease a muffin tin with oil.
- Warm the oil in a medium size sauce pan on very low heat. Add maple syrup and chocolate and stir until the chocolate is melted. Remove from heat.
- Add the grated beets.
- Whisk the eggs in a small bowl and then add them to the sauce pan.
- Sift flour, baking powder, cacao powder and salt together and stir into the beet mixture.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until slightly dark and cracked on top and still a little moist inside.
- Sprinkle coconut on top and enjoy!