An Australian bakery staple, just usually made from refined white flour, sugar and cream from a can nowadays unfortunately. None of which leave you feeling great.
We wanted to make our own version that would leave us feeling good without the sugar crash and fit into more peoples diets eg. Gluten Free and Lower in Carbs.
Delicious coconut cream, homemade chia jam and chocolate coated squares of fluffy, responsibly sweetened almond meal sponge. We LOVE these lamingtons!
Healthy Chocolate Lamingtons
- 2 cups almond meal
- 1 tsp gluten-free baking powder
- 1 tsp vanilla-bean powder or extract
- ½ cup Lakanto maple syrup
- ½ cup canned coconut cream
- 3 eggs
- Pinch of sea salt
- ½ cup filtered water
- 100g unsalted grass-fed butter or ghee, melted
For the raspberry jam
- 2 cups frozen raspberries
- 2 tbs white chia seeds
- 2 tbs filtered water
- 2 tbs Lakanto Baking Blend
For the chocolate coating
- 400g low-carb GF dark chocolate, melted and cooled to room temperature
- 100ml Lakanto Choc Topping
- 1 cup desiccated coconut
- Preheat the oven to 180°C and line a 20cm square cake tin with baking paper.
- Vanilla sponge: place the almond meal, baking powder, vanilla and Lakanto maple flavoured syrup in a bowl and mix well. Add the coconut cream, eggs, salt, water and butter or ghee, and stir to form a batter. Pour the mixture into the prepared cake tin and bake for 35–40 minutes, or until lightly golden on top and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Remove from the oven and leave to cool completely.
- Raspberry Jam. Place all the ingredients in a saucepan over medium–high heat, cover with a lid and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer, uncovered, for 15–20 minutes until reduced and slightly thickened. Remove from the heat and leave to cool and thicken further.
- Slice the cake into 6 even squares, then cut each square in half horizontally. Spread a small amount of the jam over the cut side of the bottom pieces, then sandwich with the top pieces. Transfer to a wire rack and chill in the fridge for 15–20 minutes.
- Chocolate coating: place the chocolate in a bowl and mix in the Lakanto Choc Topping. Place the coconut in another bowl.
- Remove the rack from the fridge and set it on top of a baking tray. Spoon the cooled melted chocolate evenly over the chilled lamingtons and sprinkle over the coconut, then return to the fridge for 10–15 minutes for the chocolate to set. Enjoy!