For our first birthday an amazing cake to celebrate was an absolute must.
We were lucky enough to have wonderful Woolworths team create a celebration cake recipe for us in their Woolworths Fresh Magazine (woo). And us being Lakanto, where we love all things health, decided to put a gluten free, keto spin on it.
We've used our new Baking Blend sweetener as a caster sugar replacement in this gluten free sweet sponge and our new Icing Powder in the moreish icing. The result, a super moist, golden-brown and good for you low carb indulgence.
Reminiscent of a wander through a secret garden, this may be the cake you request for your birthday too this year.
Or just a special treat to celebrate Spring!
Read more about us turning one here.
Lakanto’s Secret Garden Birthday Cake
Prep time: 20mins Cook time: 45 mins
- 2 1/2 Cups Almond Meal
- 1 Cup Lakanto Baking Blend
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 1/2 tsp Sea Salt
- 8 Large Eggs
- 1 Cup Butter, Softened
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 250g Cream Cheese
- 200ml Double Cream
- 1 Cup Lakanto Icing Powder
- ~20 Edible Flowers
- Fruit Slices: Kiwi fruit, Strawberries, Blueberries
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees Celsius
- Grease two 8 inch baking tins with a bit of butter and baking blend
- Beat the baking blend and softened butter together, then slowly add the eggs, one by one.
- Add the remaining ingredients until they are fully blended and smooth.
- Pour the mixture into the two baking tins and place in the oven to bake for ~45 mins, until fully cooked and golden.
- While the cakes bake, make the cream cheese icing.
- Whip the cream cheese and the Lakanto Icing Powder until soft
- Add the double cream and whip until it thickens to a firm cream
- Remove cakes from oven and allow to cool for 15 minutes in the tins and then gently remove and place on a wire rack.
- Spoon the icing onto the base cake layer and spread evenly. (Optional step: Layer fruit slices in between the layers) then place the top cake layer over this.
- Ideally using a pallet knife / butter knife spread the remaining cream mixture over the top and around the sides of the cake to create a naked look.
- Decorate with edible flowers and/or fruit slices as pictured in the images or in your own way.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Halve the recipe if you would like to make a mini version
- We used a bench top mixer, however if you don’t have one mixing by hand will work too
- Layer fruit in the middle of the cake for extra wow factor
- If you don’t have edible flowers, just use extra fruit slices.
Low Carb / Keto Friendly / No Added Sugar / Gluten Free