A nutritious, delicious snack that's rich in fibre and protein to keep you feeling fuller for longer. Kids will also love these snack bars in their lunch boxes - without even realising they're missing out on any sugar!
Prep Time: 40 minutes
Cook Time: 15 Minutes
- 2 Cups Pearl Barley
- 1 ½ Cups Rolled Oats
- ½ Cup Dried Apple Rings
- 1 Cup Banana Chips
- 1/3 Cup Classic Monkfruit Sweetener
- ¾ Cup Shredded Coconut
- 50g Coco Butter
- 2 Tbsp Cocoa Powder
- 4 Tbsp Sugar Free Maple Syrup
3 Tbsp Dried Corn (for Popping)
- Put the barley in a food processor to break the barley into smaller pieces (about 5 minutes), creating 'kibbled' barley.
- Sieve the barley and KEEP the barley powder. Set aside.
- Rinse the kibbled barley 3 times to remove excess barley powder (otherwise it will turn the water very thick when cooking) Soak the Kibbled Pearl barley for 20 Minutes in cold water
- Cook the barley for approx. 10-15 minutes in boiling water, using at least 4 times the water to barley (e.g. 1 Cup barley: 4 Cups of water)
- Once cooked, rinse under cold water and drain to remove excess water.
- Put the oats onto a baking tray and bake for approx. 15 minutes until golden.
- Cook the popcorn in the microwave until popped use coconut oil if needed.
- In a food processor Blend the Coconut, Apple, Banana chips, Classic Monkfruit Sweetener, blend until chopped, next add the barley, oats and maple until the mixture is slightly sticky (add the barley powder to bind, a teaspoon at a time.)
- Spread the mixture onto a baking tray approx. 20cm x 15cm with greaseproof paper. Press down evenly and firmly to get a thickness of approx. 2cm.
- Put this tray in a preheated oven at 150c fan assisted for 10 minutes.
- While this is cooking, blend the popcorn in a food processor with a teaspoon of classic Lakanto sweetener. Blend until the popcorn is small enough to scatter over the snack bar
- Remove the baking tray from the oven and while hot sprinkle the popcorn over the top and press down into the mix. Place the tray into the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Heat the coco butter until melted add the cocoa powder and maple until well combined then drizzle over the barley slab allow to set and cut into 12 bars.
- Cover and Store in the fridge for up to 14 days.
Nutritional information per snack bar: 230 calories, 3.6g protein, 11.8g fat, 25g carbohydrates (7.9g sugar, 5.2g fibre)