Your favourite delicate soft spiced Easter buns - made without the added sugar!
Prep Time: 1 hour Cook Time: 20 minutes
For the Buns:
- 1 tablespoon dry yeast
- ½ cup Lakanto Monkfruit Classic Sweetener
- 1½ cups warm milk
- 4¼ cups bread flour
- 2 tsp cinnamon powder
- 2 tsp All Spice
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 cups sultanas
- 1 - 2 oranges, zest only
- 3 1/2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 1 egg, at room temperature
For the crosses:
- 1/2 cup flour (any white flour)
- 5 tbsp water (Mix together to form a paste)
For the glaze:
- 1 tbsp Lakanto Monkfruit Classic Sweetener
- 2 tsp water
- ½ tsp Arrowroot (Mix together to brush over the hot cross bun)
- Place the yeast and 2 teaspoons of the sweetener in a large bowl, then pour in milk. Leave for 5 minutes until it froths.
- Add remaining Bun ingredients, starting with the flour and remaining sugar.
- Use a mixer fitted with a dough hook to mix until a smooth elastic dough forms. Add extra flour if required. (Alternatively, dust a work surface with flour and knead by hand for 10 minutes or until smooth)
- Allow the mix to rise (double in volume covered with a damp tea towel)
- Knock the mixture back
- Roll into even ball sizes approx. 4cm push down to 2 cm flat place on a greased baking tray. (Place the balls approx. 2 cm apart)
- Next, pipe the Cross mixture over the top and allow the mixture to rise about 70% in volume (approx. 30 minutes room temperature)
- Pre heat the oven to 180c and bake the buns for 20 minutes until golden brown, then brush with the glaze mixture or simply dust with a cinnamon sweetener mixture. Serve warm or keep in the fridge for up to 7 days.
Nutritional information per serve (35g bun): 78 calories, 2.1g protein, 1.3g fat, 13.8g carbs (3g natural sugar, 1g fibre)